Thursday, June 12, 2008

Play the play


When it comes to theater, finger puppets are my most favorite actors. They are small, colorful, cute, and there can be a whole bunch of them on the stage at the same time. And I really love that every single one of them moves differently, speaks differently, and they randomly hide out of sight. I could be staring at them for hours (or at least dozens of minutes) at a time.

And what are my favorite plays?

  • Who said oink? It's about a doggie looking for an animal that said oink. He goes to every animal he meets and asks him if he said it and they tell him that they didn't ("I didn't say oink. I said moo.") and he keeps on looking, until finally he finds the piggie that did say it.
  • Have you seen a cat? That's about a doggie that's looking for a cat and asking everybody about it. They always go on telling him: "No, I haven't seen a cat but I saw a pig. Go and ask him, maybe he's seen her." And when the doggie does find her, he chases her up to a tree.
  • Peek-a-boo There are many ways mom pays this one. One is putting a puppet on the finger and hiding it in the hand and then suddenly poping it out and saying peek-a-boo. The most funny thing about this is when she does it so fast that the puppet flies off her hand. That's classic. Or, the puppets hides behind a book and peeks out on one side and then on another one, and then again and again. It's cool when you know what's gonna happen next (at least for a while).
  • And then there are songs and nursery rhymes, like old McDonald, a cow jumping over the moon, Jack and Jill, Bingo, monkeys jumping on the bed, and many others.

No comments: